The museum of the future will arrive in early December, when the Petersen re-opens its doors. Featuring some of the world’s most valuable and significant cars and motorcycles plus the latest immersive technology, including the Forza Motorsports Racing Experience and Pixar Cars Mechanical Institute with proprietary augmented-reality CARSpad tablets, the new Petersen Automotive Museum will have nearly 95,000 square feet of exhibit space. Three themed floors are devoted to the history, industry and art of the automobile; the Petersen’s famous basement Vault, where non-displayed vehicles are stored, will re-open for tours in January 2016. Plus, the Petersen building itself is already being considered one of Los Angeles’s truly iconic architectural structures.
“We believe the New Petersen is one of the top automotive experiences in the world,” said Petersen Automotive Museum Executive Director Terry L. Karges. “Many of our guests will come for the cars, but the museum will also offer innovative architecture and design, cars as art, a satellite campus for the Art Center College of Design, Forza Motorsports racing simulators, the Pixar Cars experience for fans of all ages and a restaurant run by all four of L.A.’s famous Drago brothers. Our guests will experience the most technologically advanced storytelling capabilities of almost any museum of any type in the world.”
The museum also unveiled its opening-week events schedule. Tickets can be ordered online at the newly redesigned www.Petersen.org:
• December 5, Grand Re-Opening Gala (4:30 PM – 9:30 PM): This event benefits the non-profit Petersen Automotive Museum Foundation. The sit-down meal will be presented by all four of L.A.’s own Drago brothers, and auction items include VIP experiences at some of the world’s greatest car events and auto races. This star-studded event will be the general public’s first chance to see the new museum. Tickets start at $1,500, a portion of which is a tax-deductible contribution to the Petersen Automotive Museum Foundation. (Purchase Tickets)
• December 6, Preview Day (10:00 AM – 4:00 PM): This limited-admission event includes access to the rooftop Connor Pavilion and open bar, food by the Drago brothers and musical entertainment by Jason Bentley. Unrestricted access to the 25 new galleries will be included, and all guests will receive commemorative gift bags. Hourly giveaway prizes will be provided by Xbox, Beats by Dre, Tesla and more. Tickets are $200 each for the day, all inclusive. (Purchase Tickets)
• December 7, Open To The Public-General Admission
(Normal hours are 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM)
- Adults: $15
- Seniors (age 65+): $12 (must show ID)
- Students (ages 13-17 or college): $12 (must show ID)
- Children 3-12: $7
- Children ages 2 and under: Free
- Active Duty members of the military, police and fire officials, teachers, other museum employees: Free (must show ID)
- Personal Care Attendant (ADA): Free
For additional information, please visit www.Petersen.org or call 323-930-CARS.